-
June 25th, 2001, 05:58 AM
#1
Inactive Member
In an upcoming project, I would like to include a scene that occurs in revers. I understand how to go about actually filming this type of scene. And I cansurmise how to edite it. But I don't know how to project it. What I mean is, when the film comes back from the lab, it will be wound around the reel in a specific direction. So, when I flip the film to achieve the proper picture orientation, won't it naturally curl the other way and cause problems on the reels and in the projector? Does it need to be treated with something to straaighten it? Or just wound the other way until it "relaxes" into that position. I've never encountered this type of problem before, so I don't really know the process. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-
June 25th, 2001, 08:36 AM
#2
eddie
Guest
Hello
I assume you are filming this scen by turning the camera upside down, and then cutting out the scene from the developed film turning upside down and flipping it round.
Ive done this a couple of times, and it can a problem as you say.
2 things happen, first the focus can change slightly in the scene because the emulsion is now on the 'wrong' side, secondly, as you say, the film is naturally curved in the wrong direction. Watch out for framing too, this can be tricky to align.
If you have a good projector I dont think you need worry. A cheaper projector could rip the film.
My advice is once you have the scene curl it carefully yourself the 'wrong' way, and keep it curled like that for a while, before cutting it into place. I dont know of any chemial to try the ease the plastic the other way I wouldnt try heating it or anything (eg a hairdryer....just try to naturally re-curl it). If the scene is fairly short you shouldnt have a problem. As for the focus, again you might notice it, but you may find that your audience doesnt. Sorry I can be of more help (But Ive done this and it does look fab and well worth trying!)
-
June 25th, 2001, 11:33 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Oh you'll definately notice the focus problem Robert and it'll bug you and catch you out every time you project the footage. I know, I've been there. Modern projection lenses have such wide apertures that the depth of focus at the film plane is minute, and a base thickness movement (effectively) will make the film unwatchable without refocusing.
How about getting hold of a Nikon R10? That would film in reverse but only for 4 seconds at a time. I often thought of opening up my 1014 to make it do the same trick, after all it runs footage in reverse at any of the filming speeds (including slo-mo) and all that's keeping the shutter closed is the fact that the shutter sector dial is the rewind switch itself.
tom.
-
June 25th, 2001, 07:26 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Thanks, guys. This is a good example of why brainstorming and discussion is such an important part of the pre-production/problem-solving process. Several people have mentioned the r10 to me, so I guess I'll go that route; if I can scare one uplocally for rent or loan. Again, thanks.
-
June 26th, 2001, 12:55 AM
#5
Inactive Member
if you're transferring to video, it's simple. most projectors run reverse as well as forward. film the scene as you normally would, then transfer that shot in reverse at the relevant frame rate. if you want to finish to film, it's quite a different issue. you'd need the nizo 6080 or nikon r10.
-ekoe.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks